Palazzo Daniele in Italy named AHEAD Europe Hotel of the YearChristian Fernsby ▼ | November 26, 2019
Palazzo Daniele, in Italy's Gagliano del Capo, has been named the best new hotel in Europe at the Awards for Hospitality Experience and Design (AHEAD), also scooping the Guestrooms award.
Hospitality Awards for Hospitality Experience and Design
The hotel owned by GS Collection is housed in an aristocratic townhouse that was built in 1861 local architect Domenico Malinconico and was renovated by Palomba Serafini Associati before opening its doors earlier this year.
Their minimalist design mixes the ancient and the ultra-modern, with stripped back rooms and furnishings and motifs aimed at blurring the lines between art and function.
Guests can expect monastic decor, bare walls boost and 19th century fresco ceilings, as well as a mixture of ancient family portraits and contemporary works of art on the walls.
In addition to five categories of rooms and suites, the hotel has a pool and spa, an orangery with a café, an open-air courtyard for gatherings and events and a relaxed dining area.
AHEAD Europe awards:
• Bar, Club or Lounge – Soho House Amsterdam, The Netherlands
• Event Spaces – Cinema Paradiso at PURO Lódź, Poland
• Guestrooms – Palazzo Daniele, Gagliano del Capo, Italy
• Hotel Conversion – The Langley, Iver, England
• Hotel Newbuild – Mollie’s Motel and Diner, Buckland, England
• Hotel Renovation and Restoration – Heckfield Place, Hampshire, England
• Landscaping and Outdoor Spaces – Can Bordoy Grand House and Garden, Palma, Mallorca
• Lobby and Public Spaces – Belmond Cadogan Hotel, London, England
• Lodges, Cabins and Tented Camps – Manshausen 2.0, Manshausen Island, Norway
• Resort Hotel – The Retreat at Blue Lagoon Iceland, Grindavik, Iceland
• Restaurant – NENI at 25hours Hotel Terminus Nord, Paris, France
• Spa and Wellness – Euphoria Retreat, Mystras, Greece
• Suite – Dexamenes Seaside Hotel, Kourouta, Greece
• Transport – Ponant Le Champlain
• Visual Identity – Amerikalinjen Oslo, Norway
• New Concept – The Audo, Copenhagen, Denmark
• Outstanding Contribution – Christoph Hoffmann, 25hours Hotel Company
• AHEAD Europe Hotel of the Year – Palazzo Daniele, Gagliano del Capo, Italy ■