RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us

Tourism board attacks Algarve, Portugal drilling licence

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Staff Writer | February 3, 2017
Tourism chief Desidério Silva argued that the decision to award a licence for the ENI-Galp consortium in Portugal to drill in the Aljezur area will gravely affect tourism in the region.
Algarve
Ecology and industry   Algarve brand and its value
The head of the RTA described the region as an increasingly popular niche destination for nature tourism, and said “the decision to authorise exploration for hydrocarbons is clearly an attack on the Algarve brand and its value to the country’s economy.”

He further said the move, made public last weekend, would have “severe and adverse affects on environmental and ecological balances” from this “highly dangerous and polluting” activity.

“The Central Government’s decision is all the more surprising when, not long ago, it decided to cancel the oil exploration contracts in the Algarve with Portfuel and with the Repsol/Partex consortium”, he recalled, adding the move had suggested that hydrocarbon exploration plans in the Algarve “had been definitively cancelled”.

A protest is being organised against the drilling, to be staged outside of Parliament in Lisbon later this month, on 23 February.


 

MORE INSIDE POST