Palestinian authority announces West Bank tourism ban over Wuhan coronavirusChristian Fernsby ▼ | March 6, 2020
The Palestinians announced a two week ban on tourists visiting cities and sites in the occupied West Bank yesterday, after the first suspected cases of coronavirus in the territory.
Living in Palestine West Bank street
Topics: Palestinian West Bank tourism ban Wuhan coronavirus
The church of the nativity, built on the Bethlehem location revered as the birthplace of Jesus, is among the sites expected to be closed off until March 20.
"We have decided to prevent the entry of tourists for a period of 14 days and to prevent hotels in all cities from receiving foreigners," tourism minister Rula Maayah told AFP.
A church official confirmed the planned closure.
"We respect the authorities' decision because safety comes first," the official said on condition of anonymity.
The decision followed the first suspected cases in the West Bank of the disease, which has spread rapidly across the globe since emanating from China.
The Palestinian health ministry announced a number of suspected cases had been detected at a hotel in the Bethlehem area.
The head of the local health directorate, Imad Shahadeh, told AFP that a group of Greek tourists had visited the hotel in late February, with two later discovered to have the virus.
Four suspected cases have been identified among hotel workers, with full confirmation expected later Thursday, he said.
Palestinian health officials said they were examining whether four hotel workers in Bethlehem had contracted the disease from tourists who stayed there.
Police surrounded the hotel, as authorities awaited the results of laboratory tests. ■