RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us

New Jersey to protect citizens along Route 35

Staff writer ▼ | May 21, 2014
The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) of New Jersey has awarded a contract to construct and install four miles of steel sheet piling into the beaches of Mantoloking and Brick to protect Route 35 and nearby homes and businesses from future severe storms, Commissioner Bob Martin announced.
New Jersey Route 35
New Jersey Route 35The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) of New Jersey has awarded a contract to construct and install four miles of steel sheet piling into the beaches of Mantoloking and Brick to protect Route 35 and nearby homes and businesses from future severe storms, Commissioner Bob Martin announced.


A $23.8 million publicly bid contract has been issued to EIC Associates of Springfield Township in Union County. The contract calls for the Federal Highway Administration-approved infrastructure project to be completed within 180 days.

The steel sheeting project will complement an engineered beach and dune system planned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which will bolster beach protections for nine coastal towns on the northern Ocean County peninsula. Construction on the steel sheet piling project is scheduled to start in June.

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has committed to pay 80 percent of the cost of the project from Sandy Emergency Relief funds. The state will fund the remaining 20 percent of the project costs.

The DEP has completed state environmental reviews for its project design, and entered into future maintenance agreements with Mantoloking and Brick townships. Right-of-way easements also have been secured.

Superstorm Sandy destroyed the dune system and flooded the highway along this stretch of northern Ocean County. The infrastructure protection project will extend from Lyman Street in Mantoloking south to the southern end of Brick.

It will include 45-foot high steel sheets that will be driven 30 feet into the ground on the landward back slant of the beach’s dune. The sheeting will be situated on the landward slope of the dune system to be constructed by the Army Corps as part of its beach nourishment project.

The sheet piling system would serve as a last line of defense to protect Route 35 in the event of another extreme storm like Sandy and will provide permanent protection.


 

MORE INSIDE POST