RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us

Vietnam ex-minister allegedly took $3 million bribes in MobiFone case

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Christian Fernsby ▼ | September 3, 2019
Police in Vietnam have accused a former information minister of taking $3 million in bribes in connection with a controversial deal at state telecoms firm MobiFone, state media reported on Tuesday.
Nguyen Bac Son
Asia   Nguyen Bac Son
Nguyen Bac Son received the money to facilitate a deal in which MobiFone overpaid for a 95% stake in a loss-making pay television provider, the official Vietnam News Agency said, citing the results of a police investigation.

Topics: Vietnam Mobifone minister

MobiFone, one of Vietnam's three largest mobile carriers by subscription, bought the stake in Audio Visual Global JSC for nearly 8.9 trillion dong ($383.65 million) in late 2015.

The government suffered financial losses as a result of the transaction, the report said.

Nguyen Bac Son "abused his position, for personal purposes, to direct his inferiors to violate regulations, causing serious damages," the news agency said, citing the police report.

The MobiFone case is the largest corruption investigation so far in Vietnam's anti-graft campaign that has already engulfed hundreds of government officials.

Audio Visual Global JSC chairman Pham Nhat Vu was arrested and accused of paying the bribes to Son, the news agency said.

Son, Vietnam's information minister from 2011 to 2016, was arrested in February on suspicion of mismanaging public investment.


 

MORE INSIDE POST