RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us

Recovery efforts ongoing in Texas, Harvey cancels thousands of flights

Staff Writer | August 28, 2017
Texas Governor Greg Abbott Sunday said the state has now activated 3,000 National Guard and State Guard members to take part in rescue operation as a result of severe damage and flooding from Hurricane Harvey.
Harvey airport
Weather   3,000 National Guard and State Guard members
A body was found not far from the coastal area in South East Texas on Sunday, the sixth death reported after Hurricane Harvey made a landfall in Texas Friday evening.

Local police said they are not sure if the death is directed related to Harvey. "At this time it is unknown if the subject passed away from health conditions or due to drowning," police said in a statement, noting water in the area was high overnight.

At a Sunday press conference, Houston mayor Sylvester Turner said more than 2,000 emergency calls had been received and more shelters would be opening.

The U.S. Coast Guard has focused all its resources on rescuing people in trouble as waters continue to rise in Houston and surrounding areas, with assistance coming in from bases all over the country.

Eight helicopters and three flood response teams have rescued 100 people so far, officials said, and have received 500 calls for assistance.

The agency said that an additional 11 helicopters are expected. Another flood resp

nse team is coming from nearby state Louisiana. About 80 counties have been declared state disaster zones. Both major airports in Houston have been closed amid severe flooding.

A Houston Airport System statement on Sunday said George Bush Intercontinental Airport and Hobby Airport are closed to commercial flights until further notice.

More than 1,580 flights were canceled in the U.S. Sunday morning, according to Flight Aware, an aviation software company that tracks flight statuses.

Those cancelations were in addition to the 1,100 halted flights on Saturday, 200 stopped flights on Friday and at least 380 already axed for Monday, according to USA Today.

Both Houston airports completely shuttered operations by Sunday afternoon — as heavy rains poured down on the city despite Harvey being downgraded to a tropical storm.

The Houston William P. Hobby Airport closed early Sunday morning and likely won't reopen until Aug. 30 at 8 a.m., according to the Federal Aviation Administration. George Bush Intercontinental Airport also closed down on Sunday.

Widespread and worsening flood conditions prompted the closure of nearly every major road in Houston as the outer bands of Harvey swept through the Houston area over the weekend.