RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us

Ocado says Andover fire caused by electrical fault

Christian Fernsby ▼ | April 29, 2019
British online grocer Ocado said the huge blaze which destroyed its flagship distribution centre in Andover, southern England, was caused by an electrical fault in a battery that prompted a robot to catch fire.
Ocado fire in Andover
Britain   Ocado fire in Andover
Ocado said an electrical fault at one of the battery charging units at the edge of the ambient storage grid caused the plastic lid on the top of a grocery-carrying robot to catch alight.

The firm said it has undertaken several remedial actions intended to eliminate the risk of such an event occurring again. These include the introduction of additional localised smoke detectors and the removal of the plastic lid on its robots.


 

MORE INSIDE POST