New Zealand to further recovery plan after Pike River mine explosionChristian Fernsby ▼ | December 4, 2019
The next phase of the Pike River Re-entry project is underway, the New Zealand government said.
New Zealand Pike River mine explosion
Topics: New Zealand Pike River mine explosion
On Nov. 19, 2010, an explosion at the Pike River mine on the West Coast of the South Island in New Zealand killed 29 miners. Their bodies have not been recovered, and remain in the mine.
The New Zealand government has pledged to recover the bodies of the miners. Earlier this year in May, a recovery team made an initial success in re-entering the mine for 170 meters.
"The Pike River Recovery Agency has planned a safe, manned re-entry and recovery of the drift past the 170m barrier, with input from local and international experts. The next step is advancing safely up the remainder of the 2.3km drift and carrying out forensic examinations along the way," said Minister Responsible for Pike River Re-entry Andrew Little.
"We need to find out as much as possible about what caused 29 men to go to work and not come home. The safe recovery of the mine drift, and its forensic examination, is part of an overdue act of justice," said Little.
As previously announced, the plan includes an exemption to one aspect of mining regulations, which has been approved by WorkSafe under existing law. The agency was required to demonstrate its plan was as safe as or safer than the regulation. ■