New Zealand investigators to re-enter coal mine years after disasterStaff Writer |
Asia A series of explosions ignited by methane ripped through the Pike River mine
Reuters quoted New Zealand as saying that investigators are preparing to re-enter a coal mine where 29 men were killed more than eight years ago in one of the country's worst industrial disasters.
Two managed to escape.
Mr Andrew Little, the minister responsible, said preparations were under way to re-enter the mine on May 3 to try to recover the miners' remains.
He said that "This is about looking for clues to what caused the explosion that killed 29 men on 19 November 2010."
Re-entering the mine had earlier been ruled out due to safety concerns, a stance that had been opposed by many family members of the victims. ■
What to read next