RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us

New Year celebrations banned at Istanbul's Taksim Square

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Staff Writer | December 20, 2017
Turkish authorities will not allow New Year celebrations at Istanbul's Taksim Square for security reasons, local officials said.
Taksim Square
Attacks   Measures for New Year will be at the highest level
Local police chief of Istanbul's Beyoglu district, Ismail Kilic, said security measures had been doubled this year following a string of attacks over the past two years.

"Measures for New Year will be at the highest level," Anadolu cited him as saying.

"We will double the measures because the Reina assailant changed his location having seen the measures at Taksim," Kilic said.

Turkey has suffered a series of terror attacks attributed to Kurdish militants and the Islamic State group, including a shooting at popular Istanbul nightclub Reina during a New Year 2016-17 party in which 39 people were killed.


 

MORE INSIDE POST