RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us
Post Online Media
Post Online Media Magazine

Libyan army accuses IS of deadly attack on state oil firm

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Staff Writer | September 11, 2018
National Oil Corporation
Africa   The attack was the latest to target Libya's vital oil sector

Spokesman of Libya's eastern-based army on Monday accused Islamic State (IS) of carrying out the deadly attack on the headquarters of the National Oil Corporation in the capital Tripoli earlier in the day.

"We have obtained evidence and information about involvement of IS in collaboration with al-Qaeda dissidents in today's attack on the headquarters of National Oil Corporation in Tripoli, as well as the previous attack on the headquarters of the Higher Commission of Elections," army spokesman Ahmad al-Mismari told a press conference in the eastern city of Benghazi.

Gunmen on Monday morning attacked the headquarter of the National Oil Corporation, killing two people and injuring 10 others.

"The evidence available to the army, including documents, are being forwarded through the General Command to the competent judicial authority to investigate these two actions," the spokesman said, adding "the evidence that will be presented will be conclusive and decisive in the course of investigations into these two attacks specifically."

He warned that "these attacks will not be the last," calling on all authorities in Tripoli to "take caution."

The attack was the latest to target Libya's vital oil sector which provides 95 percent of state revenues amid the chaos that has gripped the North African country since the 2011 uprising that toppled former leader Moamer Kadhafi.


What to read next
POST Online Media Contact