#stayhome Maintain the distance, wash your hands, and follow instructions from the health authorities.
RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us

Indonesia revokes Mount Agung emergency response status

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Staff Writer | December 23, 2017
The Indonesian government has revoked emergency response status due to the rumbling Mount Agung on the tourist island of Bali to convince visitors the island is safe to visit.
Mount Agung
Asia   The economic recovery
The decision was made in a cabinet meeting led by President Joko Widodo in Bali on Friday night.

Bali Governor Made Mangku Pastika told Anadolu Agency on Saturday that the emergency response status was tarnishing Bali's tourism image, causing tourism to decline and many businesses and hotels to lose income.

He said that status is not relevant to the condition and situation of most areas of Bali that are safe and normal.

"The impression posed by the emergency response status is as if the whole of Bali is in an emergency so that other countries issue travel warning, while the status is only related to logistics distribution for refugees," said Pastika.

"Therefore, the government revoked that status," he said.

Authorities last month raised the volcano alert for Mount Agung to its highest level and told 100,000 people to leave an area extending 10 kilometers (6 miles) from its crater.

Countries like Australia and Singapore have advised their citizens to be cautious when traveling to Bali.

Pastika said with the removal of the emergency status, the government hopes that other countries will also lift travel warnings to Bali for the economic recovery.


 

MORE INSIDE POST