UPDATE: Guaido says coup is under way, Minister accuses Mike PenceChristian Fernsby ▼ | April 30, 2019
Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido took to the streets Tuesday morning and called for a military uprising.
LatAm Juan Guaido
In a three-minute video posted on his Twitter account, the 35-year-old lawmaker said soldiers who took the streets would be acting to protect Venezuela’s constitution.
“The moment is now,” said Guaido, who shot the video at a Caracas airbase surrounded by soldiers and accompanied by detained activist and mentor, Leopoldo Lopez.
“The national armed forces have taken the correct decision, and they count on the support of the Venezuelan people,” he said.
Minutes after the video was shared, the Venezuelan government said it would be putting down a small coup attempt by military “traitors” working with the opposition.
“We reject this coup movement, which aims to fill the country with violence,” said Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino.
Communications Minister Jorge Rodriguez on Twitter called on Venezuelan citizens to remain on high alert, alongside the “glorious Bolivarian National armed forces, to defeat the coup attempt and preserve the peace.”
Venezuela’s defense minister, Vladimir Padrino, said “acts of violence” by some members of the armed forces had been “partly defeated” in an address broadcast on state television.
He added that the military’s top ranks remained “loyal to the constitution.”
And the country’s foreign minister, Jorge Arreaza, has tweeted at US vice president Mike Pence, calling him the “head of the attempted coup d’etat.” ■