Amazon workers hospitalized after warehouse robot unleashes bear sprayStaff Writer |
America Amazon warehouse in New Jersey
Twenty-four Amazon workers have been hospitalized after a robot accidentally tore open a can of bear repellent spray in a warehouse in New Jersey in the U.S., ABC News reported Thursday.
The ABC news quoted a township official as saying that the wounded workers were treated at five local hospitals. Some workers experienced breathing problems, and stinging in their throat and eyes.
"An automated machine accidentally punctured a 9-ounce bear repellent can, releasing concentrated Capsaican," John Nalbone, the Robbinsville pubic officer, told the U.S. new outlet after an official investigation.
An Amazon spokesperson said all employees in that area have been relocated to safe place, because "the safety of our employees is our top priority."
Nalbone said earlier that no threat was posed for residents in the area and the fumes containing repellent substance were confined to the third-floor south wing at the fulfillment center.
The Amazon facility in Robbinsville employs more than 3,000 workers. ■
What to read next