RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us
Post Online Media

All US diplomats have left Venezuela as country remains in chaos

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Staff Writer |
Mike Pompeo
LatAm   US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the US supports Juan Guaido

The United States has withdrawn all remaining diplomatic personnel from its embassy in Caracas.


"Today, all US diplomats remaining in Venezuela departed the country. I know it is a difficult moment for them," US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said.

He said the US remains committed to supporting opposition leader Juan Guaido, who wants to remove Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and hold elections.

"US diplomats will now continue that mission from other locations where they will continue to help manage the flow of humanitarian assistance to the Venezuelan people and support the democratic actors bravely resisting tyranny," Pompeo said.

Four people were killed and at least 300 were detained in association with protests and looting that took place during Venezuela’s nationwide blackout, rights groups said.

Rights groups Provea and the Venezuelan Observatory of Social Conflict said via Twitter that three people were killed in the central state of Lara and one person was killed in the western state of Zulia. The cause of the deaths was unclear.

Alfredo Romero of rights group Foro Penal said at a news conference that 124 people had been detained in protests over public services since the March 8 blackout and that another 200 were arrested over looting.


What to read next
POST Online Media Contact