1 killed, 4 taken ill due to gas leak in factory in IndiaChristian Fernsby ▼ | June 28, 2020
One person was killed and four others were taken ill, two of them critically, Saturday due to a gas leak inside a factory in the southern Indian state of Andhara Pradesh, officials said.
Tragedy Ammonia gas leak
Topics: Gas India
"Today a gas leak occurred at SPY Agro Industries, after which one employee was killed on spot due to explosion in the pipe, while as four others were taken ill," a local government official at Kurnool collector's office said. "The persons were immediately taken to the nearest hospital, where the condition of two of them was stated to be critical."
According to officials, the welding work on the gas pipeline was underway in the factory when the leak occurred.
Following the incident, authorities rushed fire and emergency services team to the factory to control the situation.
"Now the situation has been brought under control and there is no danger," the official said. Officials said ammonia is used in the agro unit as a chilling agent.
Last month gas leak from a chemical factory in the state's Visakhapatnam district killed 11, besides affecting hundreds of others while they were asleep. ■