WHO: 2,000 dead, over 530,000 suspected cholera cases in YemenStaff Writer | August 22, 2017
The World Health Organization (WHO) reported that the number of suspected cholera cases in Yemen exceeded 530,000 and the death toll stood at 2,000 since the outbreak started in April.
Africa The disease is still expanding rapidly
The epidemic has spread rapidly because of the deterioration of hygienic and sanitary conditions and the disruption of water supply in the country, which has suffering an armed conflict since 2014, the WHO said.
The spread of cholera has been significantly reduced in some areas, but the disease is still expanding rapidly in the newly affected districts, which have registered numerous cases, the agency said.
UNICEF warned last week that with the onset of the rainy season, cholera cases may increase again because sanitation and sewerage systems are damaged or out of service. ■