Papua New Guinea sees return of polioStaff Writer | June 25, 2018
A polio outbreak has been confirmed in Papua New Guinea's Morobe province.
Pacific The WHO said response teams had swung into action
The WHO said a 6-year-old Morobe boy went to a health centre with lower limb weakness on the 28th of April, and on the 21st of May, he was confirmed to have polio.
Last week, the United States Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said tests of stool samples from other children confirmed that the virus was circulating in the community.
PNG's health secretary, Pascoe Kase, said he was deeply concerned about the re-emergence of polio, and the immediate priority was to stop more children being infected.
The WHO said response teams had swung into action in Morobe, investigating the outbreak and trying to isolate it, as well as immunising children in a region where few have been.
Polio mainly affects young children and had been eradicated in most of the world, with only 22 reported cases last year. ■