Kenya in fight against cholera epidemicStaff Writer | July 19, 2017
At least four people have died, over 300 admitted to hospital and two major hotels are closed indefinitely in the capital Nairobi as Kenya fights against a cholera epidemic.
Africa A crackdown on illegal food vendors
On Wednesday, Health Cabinet Secretary Dr. Cleopa Mailu while giving an update on the disease announced in Nairobi that 67 people are currently admitted to Kenyatta National Hospital, the largest referral hospital, and 12 other health institutions across the city.
"We have so far recorded four cholera-related deaths in the city and several admissions to hospital," he said.
He added that the two hotels, Jacaranda and San Valencia, had been shut down indefinitely to help contain the spread of the disease.
The two Nairobi-based hotels are reported to have offered catering services at separate events where participants, including two Cabinet Secretaries, were later hospitalized after contracting cholera.
Mailu said the government will also inspect all water bowsers and water sources and food vendors to prevent the spread of the disease.
However, not only Nairobi County has been affected, according to the health ministry, up to 12 counties have been hit by the cholera outbreak with the capital and Garissa being the most affected.
Cholera is a severe diarrhoeal disease that if unchecked can kill victims in hours. Health experts note that it takes between 12 hours and five days for someone to show symptoms after coming into contact with contaminated food or water.
Statistics show every year some 1.3 million to 4 million cholera cases are reported across the world, resulting in 140,000 deaths. ■