RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us

Cholera in Yemen hit over 300,000 people

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Staff Writer | July 11, 2017
Cholera disease has infected more than 300,000 people in war-torn Yemen since late April, the international Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said.
Cholera disease in Yemen
Africa   The international Committee of the Red Cross:
"Yemen, Cholera: Disturbing. We're at 300k+ suspected cases with ~7k new cases/day. 4 most affected areas: Sanaa, Hodeida, Hajjah and Amran," ICRC regional director Robert Mardini tweeted.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organization (WHO) on its official twitter put the epidemic suspected cases at 297,438 people and the death toll from the disease at 1,706 until July 9.

The disease cases were reported from 22 provinces out of 23 since April 27, said WHO.

Since April 27, the cholera cases in Yemen have been "increasing at an average of 5,000 a day," WHO said in its last week report. "We are now facing the worst cholera outbreak in the world."

More than three years into war, Yemen is facing a total collapse, where two thirds of the total population, around 19 million, need humanitarian aid. About 10.3 million people are at risk of famine and 14.5 million lack access to safe drinking water.

Fewer than 45 percent of the country's hospitals are operational, but even the operational ones are coping with huge challenges, especially the lack of medications, medical equipment and staff.

The blockade on Yemen, as part of a Saudi-led bombing campaign launched in March 2015, has deepened the crisis in the country which used to import most of its basic needs.

The war has pit the Shiite Houthi rebel movement against a Sunni Saudi-led military coalition, after Houthis toppled Saudi-backed President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi and his government in late 2014.


 

MORE INSIDE POST