RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us
Post Online Media

Energy demand in Italy returns to growth in 2015

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Staff writer | Tuesday January 26, 2016 2:18AM ET
Italy electricity pole
Europe   According to provisional data from Terna:

After three consecutive years of decline there are positive signs for Italian electricity consumption.


According to provisional data from Terna, the national transmission grid operator, total 2015 energy demand in Italy was 315.2 billion kWh, up 1.5% on 2014. Working-day adjusted, the difference was +1.3%.

Driving this increase, in particular, was the South macro area (including Campania, Puglia, Calabria, and Basilicata) which recorded the most substantial growth at +4.4%.

This was followed by the area composed of Tuscany and Emilia Romagna with +4.3%, and the Central area (composed of Lazio, Abruzzo, Marche, Molise and Umbria) with an increase of +2.3% on 2014.

The increase in electricity demand was more modest in Sardinia (+0.8%) and Lombardy (0.4%); and there was no change in the North-East macro area (Friuli Venezia Giulia, Trentino Alto Adige and Veneto).

In 2015, 85.3% of the electricity demand was met with national production while the remaining part (14.7%) was provided by the balance of electricity exchanged with foreign countries.

In detail, net national production (270.7 billion kWh) increased by 0.6% compared to 2014. Solar (+13.0%), thermoelectric (+8.3%) and geothermal (+4.5%) energy production showed growth.

There was a decrease, instead, in hydroelectric (-24.9%, after record production in 2014) and wind (-3.3%) production, largely due to the different atmospheric conditions in 2015.

Overall, production from renewables – hydroelectric, photovoltaic, wind-power, geothermal and biomass production, reached 107.8 billion kWh, 39.8% of net national production.

In 2015, a new record for total energy consumption was reached in Italy: at 16:00 on Tuesday 21 July, Terna recorded a peak of 59,353 MW (+15.1% compared to 2014 maximum demand).

Regarding December 2015, electricity demand in Italy was 25.8 billion kWh, representing an increase of 0.6% compared to demand in December 2014. The 25.8 billion kWh required in December were distributed 48.8% in the North, 30.0% in Central Italy and 21.2% in the South.

At the regional level, the trend in December 2015 was zero in the North, +1.3% in Central Italy, and +1.6% in the South. In December 2015, 83.3% of the electricity demand was met with national production while the remaining part (16.7%) was provided by the balance of electricity exchanged with foreign countries.

In detail, net national production (21.7 billion kWh) fell by 1.4% compared to the volumes in December 2014. Solar (+16.9%), thermoelectric (+16.4%) and geothermal (+3.4%) energy production show growth. Hydroelectric (-51.1%) and wind (-54.4%) show a decline due to the aforementioned climatic factors.

The short-term profile for December 2015 showed a seasonally adjusted change in electricity demand compared to the previous month of 0.9%.

Maximum electricity demand in December 2015 was 52,355 megawatt, which Terna recorded on Tuesday 15 at 18:00. This was +1.7% higher than the value measured for the same month last year.

 

What to read next
POST Online Media Contact

 More inside POST