RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us
Post Online Media
Post Online Media Magazine

UMC Energy fails at funding, announces planned delisting

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Staff writer ▼ | March 5, 2016
UMC Energy
UMC Energy   The company had been dependent on Natasa loans

UMC Energy announced its impending delisting, after repeated failed attempts to raise equity funding. The announcement came after discussions with its major shareholder, Natasa Mining.

The AIM-traded firm's principal activity was investment directly and indirectly in resource exploration and development projects, as well as their operation.

UMC's main undertaking was currently the development of the Papua New Guinea petroleum project, in which it held a 30% equity interest, cost-carried to production. The remaining 70% interest was held by CNOOC Ltd, which was also the operator of the project licences.

"As such, the company's interest is relatively passive with operating progress of the project under the control of CNOOC, albeit with the company playing an advisory role and having significant influence over policy decisions," UMC's board said in a statement.

It said the company had, for many years, been dependent on loans being made available to it by Natasa, to meet its working capital and other requirements.

Over the past several years, the company had undertaken activities aimed at raising additional equity capital, which had not proved successful. UMC said the endeavours had been made more difficult by the decline in the oil price on commodity markets over the period since June 2014.


What to read next
POST Online Media Contact