RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us

Statoil discovers the third field in the Flemish Pass Basin

Staff writer ▼ | January 1, 1970
Flemish Pass BasinStatoil has made a third discovery of crude oil in the Flemish Pass Basin. The discovery was made on the Bay du Nord, approximately 500 kilometres northeast of St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.


This discovery is the second discovery for Statoil offshore Newfoundland this year. In June, the company made another discovery at the Harpoon prospect, is located approximately 10 kilometres from Bay du Nord.

"The success of Bay du Nord is the result of an ambitious and targeted drilling campaign in the Flemish Pass Basin. This discovery is very encouraging. The Flemish Pass Basin is a strategic part of Statoil's global exploration portfolio. We are now planning to return to the area for further appraisal drilling in the future," says Statoil Exploration executive vice president Tim Dodson.

Mr. Dodson says that the volumes of both the Bay du Nord and Harpoon wells are to be evaluated and the company is developing a greater understanding of the geology and potential of the basin.

The Bay du Nord and Harpoon wells were drilled by the semi-submersible rig West Aquarius, both in approximately 1,100 metres of water. Bay du Nord is located about 20 kilometres south of Statoil's Mizzen discovery. The Mizzen discovery, announced in 2010, is estimated to hold between 100-200 million barrels of oil.

Statoil is the operator of Bay du Nord and Harpoon with a 65% interest and Husky Energy has the rest 35%.interest.

Shel Kestley


 

MORE INSIDE POST