RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us

Bayer rethinks weedkiller accord after court criticism

Christian Fernsby ▼ | July 9, 2020
Bayer said it was reviewing a plan to resolve future litigation linked to claims that its Roundup weedkiller causes cancer, after a U.S. judge criticised the proposed settlement.
Bayer
Weedkiller   Bayer
In a statement, Bayer said the motion for court approval of the $1.25 billion (1.1 billion euro) deal had been withdrawn to “enable the parties to more comprehensively address the questions” raised by U.S. judge Vince Chhabria.

Topics: Bayer

Bayer said last month it would pay more than $10 billion to end a wave of lawsuits that has weighed on the company since it bought the U.S. firm and Roundup-maker Monsanto in 2018.

Most of the money will go towards settling tens of thousands of existing cases in the United States, but around $1.25 billion has been earmarked to shut down future claims and this part of the deal requires court approval.

In a blow to Bayer, judge Chhabria, who presides over a U.S. district court in northern California, said Monday he was “inclined to deny” Bayer’s request for approval.


 

MORE INSIDE POST