RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us
Post Online Media
Post Online Media Magazine

American and US Airways to create world's largest airline

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Staff writer |
American and US AirwaysThe boards of AMR Corporation, the parent company of American Airlines, and US Airways Group approved a merger that will create the biggest global carrier with combined equity of $11 billion.


The new company will operate under the American Airlines name. Customers will have access to increased service across the combined company’s larger worldwide network and through an enhanced oneworld Alliance, of which American Airlines is a founding member. With firm orders for more than 600 new mainline aircraft, the combined airline will have one of the most modern fleets in the industry.

Thomas Horton, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of American Airlines, will serve as Chairman of the combined airline’s Board of Directors through its first annual meeting of shareholders, and will also serve as the combined airline’s representative to the oneworld Alliance, of which he is currently chairman, and International Air Transport Association for the same duration.

Doug Parker, Chairman and CEO of US Airways, will serve as Chief Executive Officer and a member of the Board of Directors. Mr. Parker will assume the additional position of Chairman of the Board following the conclusion of Mr. Horton’s service.

The Board of Directors will initially be made up of twelve members and will be comprised of three American Airlines representatives, including Tom Horton, four US Airways representatives, including Doug Parker, and five AMR creditor representatives.

Tom Horton"Today, we are proud to launch the new American Airlines – a premier global carrier well equipped to compete and win against the best in the world. Together, we will be even better positioned to deliver for all of our stakeholders, including our customers, people, investors, partners, and the many communities we serve," said Tom Horton, chairman, president, and chief executive officer of American Airlines.

US Airways stockholders will receive one share of common stock of the combined airline for each share of US Airways common stock then held. The aggregate number of shares of common stock of the combined airline issuable to holders of US Airways equity instruments will represent 28% of the diluted equity of the combined airline. The remaining 72% diluted equity ownership of the combined airline will be issuable to stakeholders of AMR and its debtor subsidiaries that filed for relief under Chapter 11, American’s labor unions, and current AMR employees.

Doug Parker"American Airlines is one of the world’s most iconic brands. The combined airline will have the scale, breadth and capabilities to compete more effectively and profitably in the global marketplace. Our combined network will provide a significantly more attractive offering to customers, ensuring that we are always able to take them where they want to travel, when they want to go," said Doug Parker, chairman and chief executive officer of US Airways.

The combined airline will offer more than 6,700 daily flights to 336 destinations in 56 countries. The combined airline is expected to maintain all hubs currently served by American Airlines and US Airways, and both airlines expect that the regional carriers they own – AMR Corporation’s American Eagle and US Airways’ Piedmont and PSA – will continue to operate as distinct entities. The company will be headquartered in Dallas-Fort Worth and will maintain a significant corporate and operational presence in Phoenix.

POST Online Media Contact