RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us
Post Online Media
Post Online Media Magazine

Portuguese government pays 36.78m euros to farmers affected by forest fires

Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn
Staff Writer | December 30, 2017
Portuguese farm
Europe   Portugal allocated 41.5 million euros

The Portuguese government said it is paying 37.68 million euros ($45.25 million) out of a total of 50.2 million euros to farmers affected by the deadly forest fires erupted on October 15.

The sum paid by the Ministry of Agriculture accounts for 75 percent of the total payment of 50.2 million euros to be made to these farmers, with the remainder to be paid later, the ministry said in a statement.

The ministry said that 55 percent of the amount "is paid directly by bank transfer to the farmers' account, the remaining 45 percent is being paid by postal order, within five working days, to 6,650 farmers who do not have a bank account".

The 37.68 million euros now paid by the Ministry of Agriculture adds to the amount of 3.78 million euros, paid by the Ministry of Labor and Social Solidarity to 6,025 farmers who recorded losses up to 1,053 euros.

In total, the government has now allocated 41.5 million euros to 20,567 farmers affected by the fires with losses of up to 5,000 euros.

The forest fires erupted in the north of Portugal on Oct. 15 killed 45 people, only four months after the most deadly forest fires in 40 years killed another 65 people in the Pedrogao Grande area in the central part of the country.


What to read next
POST Online Media Contact