Canada: Growers processing vegetables angry about decision on 2020 tomato contractsChristian Fernsby ▼ | April 25, 2019
Ontario’s processing vegetable growers are expressing their disappointment over a recent provincial ruling concerning contracts for the 2020 processing tomato crop.
The Ontario Processing Vegetable Growers says they were not consulted on the change, nor were they informed a decision had been made ahead of the announcement.
Cathy Lennon, general manager of Ontario Processing Vegetable Growers (OPVG), says the province made the move to address “decreasing investment and declining volumes” in the industry, a claim she says OPVG’s statistics do not support.
While the government is fingering the cost of produce as a challenge to keeping processors in Ontario, Lennon says processors have identified alternative challenges — things such as hydro costs, taxes, access to labour, and foreign worker programs.
What’s more, the OPVG board held a meeting at the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs office very recently, but no mention of the impending change or decision was discussed, according to Lennon.
There is a concern that the decision to move to a direct contracting model will lead to fewer growers producing more of the crop at a lower price.
Currently, about 80 farm families produce processing tomatoes for the industry. ■