€1 billion available for Irish rural areasChristian Fernsby ▼ | December 18, 2019
The Irish Department of Rural and Community Development is seeking proposals for its €1 billion regeneration fund which will support a range of projects over the next 10 years.
Rural life in Ireland Rural Regeneration and Development Fund
Topics: Irish rural
The types of initiatives which the Fund will support include (but are not limited to):
• measures to encourage residential living or commercial development in town centres including by investing in vacant buildings
• improving public spaces in towns and villages and the development of areas and buildings for community facilities
• projects that support job creation, entrepreneurship and innovation (e.g. development of Digital Hubs, Enterprise Hubs, Creative Hubs, training facilities)
• measures to tackle social disadvantage
• tourism initiatives which attract visitors to rural areas
• improving walking, cycling, and public transport access to and within towns and villages (including improvements to roads, bridges and car parking facilities).
• the provision and enhancement of recreational or leisure facilities
Category 2 of the Fund will support the early development of projects to enable them to reach a stage where the concept is developed to a high standard and the project is in a position to commence works. Projects could subsequently apply for further funding through Category 1 of the Fund, which supports the delivery and completion of projects which have full planning permission and other necessary consents in place. ■