Biogen appoints Michel Vounatsos as CEO
Mr. Vounatsos previously held the position of Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer at Biogen.
Mr. Vounatsos joined Biogen in April 2016 after a 20 year career at Merck.
While at Merck, he held leadership positions of increasing responsibility in Europe, China, and the U.S., driving significant and consistent growth across multiple geographies.
Mr. Vounatsos brings to the role of chief executive a background in both medicine and business.
He attended the Université Victor Segalen, Bordeaux II, in France, where he received his C.S.C.T. certificate in Medicine; subsequently, he graduated with an MBA from the HEC School of Management in Paris.
Mr. Vounatsos succeeds George A. Scangos, Ph.D., who has led the company since 2010 and had previously announced that he would step down once a successor was found. ■
What to read next
LATEST MOVES FROM Massachusetts
- Chiasma re-appoints Roni Mamluk to board
- BayCoast Bank appoints James Wallace as CFO
- Pulmatrix appoints Amit D. Munshi to board
- Syros Pharmaceuticals appoints Srinivas Akkaraju to board
- Merrimack Pharma names Sergio Santillana as CMO
More inside POST