Top 5 From This Section
- TX-NR929: Onkyo wi-fi-enabled 9.2-channel THX powerhouse
- Clearaudio Statement turntable
- The best iPhone amplifiers - with no electronics whatsoever
- Fujifilm X-E2 camera with the world's fastest AF speed
- The Kingdom Royal by Tannoy
Don't Miss Most Read
- Time to visit Lucerne
- For a polio-free world
- Akamai to buy Prolexic for $370 million
- Apple buys Topsy, price north of $200 million
- UK economy growing thanks to Chinese companies
- Brac - the island with the Golden Horn
- Events in September 2010
- Luxury Equus finally revealed
- Large, quiet, green - the new Murano
- Chair as a statement piece
- Table lamp as a piece of art
- The iconic McIntosh amplifier MC275
- Headphones made by 200 developers
- Dietary supplements
- Make a deal with your will and lose weight
- Brazil's economy shrinks
- EU commits 160m euros to fight animal diseases
- Early eye disease test developed
- Judge rules in favor of whales, against Navy sonars
Download Windows Gadget
Warm, rich and engaging analogue sound from Creek Audio Destiny 2Sunday 25 August 2013 00:01 CEST
With thousands of internet radio stations, is there any reason for spending the money on a dedicated analogue only tuner? The answer is a sound "yes": If you want high fidelity, analogue FM tuner is the way to go.
Creek Audio is a British family-run company started in the back bedroom of the family home more than 30 years ago. They are one of the reasons why radio is not something that plays background music while we are percepting it more like noise than music.
The Destiny 2 tuner uses a rotary tuning knob to control the tuning and pre-set station selection in an analogue way. Creek Audio's engineers have minimised the number of local functions, so you have Standby on-off, Tuning, Pre-sets, AM/FM selection, Auto Scan tuning and Memory store. All of them plus Mono, Stereo, Display Brightness and direct pre-set station number entry are available via a Creek SRC3 remote control. Of course, RDS info is also there, on Destiny's display.
If we take a look a very important part - power supply - we'll be happy like a baby in front of the best milk in the world. An impressive power supply contains three mains transformers to supply current separately to the digital, analogue and standby circuitry. Three. That provides great isolation and low current consumption and it meets the latest European regulations for standby operation. A mixture of conventional and Surface Mount Technology (SMTS) elements are used on a printed circuit board to provide a high level of interference suppression.
For high sensitivity and selectivity, a very important factor when listening ground stations, Creek Audio is using four tuned circuit FM radio front-end with J-FET amplifier and mixer, and there is a shield to prevent interference. A high-grade IF and PLL stereo decoder circuit process the signal and the audio output is filtered and buffered by a high-grade op-amp based circuit to enable it to drive a long cable without loses. Each channel is powered separately.
In the tuner's non-volatile memory there are 80 locations for your favourite FM and AM stations.
Creek Audio Destiny 2 tuner is a proof that everything can't be ported to the internet and that internet is not suitable for everything in this world. When you dive into sound of your favourite station and hear how deep and warm analogue sound is, you'll deinstall your internet radio app.