RSS   Newsletter   Contact   Advertise with us
Post Online Media

Sainsbury's would challenge CMA in courts if unhappy with Asda ruling

Mike Coupe
Britain   Chief executive Mike Coupe

Sainsbury's would challenge in the courts any unfavourable ruling by the regulator on its agreed takeover of rival Asda if it believed it was not backed up by published evidence, its boss said on Thursday.


The 7.3 billion pound ($9.6 billion) deal to buy the UK arm of Walmart, a transaction that could see the combined group leapfrog Tesco as Britain's biggest retailer, is being assessed by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA).

The CMA said last month it expected to issue provisional findings early next year, ahead of a final report in March.

Sainsbury's chief executive Mike Coupe told reporters he expected the CMA's first report to be published in late January.

Sainsbury's and Asda have both said they believe the CMA will not insist on a level of store disposals that will make the deal, announced in April, unpalatable.

 

What to read next
 
 

POST Online Media does not use cookies to collect information about visitors.   OK, hide this message   Third party ads may be using cookies, you can see how here.